World Toilet Day
In consonance with the United Nations’ declaration in 2013, and the Sustainable Development Goals launched in 2015, which included a target to ensure everyone everywhere has access to toilets by the year 2030. November 19 has been designated as World Toilet Day. This year’s theme is “wastewater.” By 2030, the Sustainable Development Goals aim to reach everyone with sanitation, and halve the proportion of untreated wastewater and increase recycling and safe reuse.
For that to be achieved, we need everyone’s waste to be contained, transported, treated and disposed of in a safe and sustainable way. Today, for billions of people around the world, sanitation systems are either non-existent or ineffective. Human waste gets out and killer diseases spread, meaning progress in health and child survival is seriously undermined.
Sulabh Celebrates World Toilet Day, 2017
As an expression to make sanitation a priority in schools and colleges, the Sulabh Sanitation Club is celebrating the WORLD TOILET DAY 2017 at, New Delhi from 17-19 November 2017. The idea is to raise awareness of life conditions in areas which are crowded, with inadequate housing, poor or no water and sanitation facilities and no security.
We hope to stimulate dialogue within ourselves and among external actors about the relevance of sanitation and hygiene for women’s and children’s health and gender equity, and how we as actors can contribute to breaking oppressive taboos and improve access to adequate sanitation. We hope to stimulate dialogue within ourselves and among external actors about the relevance of sanitation and hygiene for women’s and children’s health and gender equity, and how we as actors can contribute to breaking oppressive taboos and improve access to adequate sanitation.
Events of the Day
A special Inter – School Band Competition will be held at Sulabh Gram, Mahavir Enclave, New Delhi on 18th November 2017 from 12 pm to 2:30 pm onwards.” Young performers from different schools of Delhi will share their performances & experiences and inspire others. Lots of Exciting prizes are in the galore and a learning platform for the stars of tomorrow. Interested Schools may please register here.
A special power packed game changing programme shall be held at Marora Trump Village, Gurgaon on 19 November, 11 am to mark the World Toilet Day celebrations. A flurry of activities shall be held at this village like games, activities and performances around sanitation issues. Tents and pavilions shall be set up by Sulabh International to disseminate information on sanitation. There really could be no better or more appropriate place to celebrate the World Toilet Day 2017.
This World Toilet Day event is generating considerable interest and we are looking forward to a productive day of celebrations on 18 as well as 19 November 2017. We look forward to your response and receiving you and your students on 18 November 2017. Please confirm your participation by 11 November 2017.
We are excited to start. We hope you will join us in large numbers! But Stay tuned for more updates about the WTD 2017.
- Separate competition for Boys and Girls.
- Number of participants shall be 20 to 30
- Maximum time limit is 5 – 7 Minutes
- Playing of patriotic songs allowed only after playing the mentioned songs
- Competition is open for all Schools of Delhi and NCR region
- Group should consist of Pipe and Drum Band
- Special award to school bands who have the largest number of girls in the band.
- Theme of the band is Sulabh Songs like “Hasna Mera Kaam” or “Son of India” or “Don’t Don’t go for open defecation”. All songs available on You Tube Channel of Sulabh International.
- List of participants and Escort should be forwarded along with registration form
- Name of participants be written in expanded/full form, abbreviations will not be accepted
- Nomination from only one team from each school shall be accepted
Last Date: Registration for competition closes on 11 Nov 2017, 5 p.m. IST
Venue: Sulabh Gram, Mahavir Enclave, Palam Dabri Road, New Delhi
Reporting Time: 11.3AM
Prize Distribution: 2.30 PM
Snacks & Refreshments: Will be provided by Sulabh
PRIZES FOR INTER SCHOOL BAND COMPETION
|I (FIRST)||RS 7500||RS 7500|
|II (SECOND)||RS 5000||RS 5000|
|III (THIRD)||RS 3500||RS 3500|
Ripples Make Waves is an event bringing youth & children of India together to meet up at Delhi and share their effort and experiences for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in form of stories at an inter active session packed with lively games, exercises and power point presentation.
At 11.30 am on 16 November 2017, Ripples Make Waves opens with three school representative from 15 states of India to discuss change & advocate the need of Water Sanitation & Hygiene in Schools!
Rules: Who is Eligible?
- Young people aged 14 to 21 and working /or studying in schools & colleges.
- Applicants may be working for public institutions, research institutes, start-ups, NGOs, or as freelancers.
- Both individual and group applications are welcome.
What ideas are eligible?
The members of Sulabh School Sanitation Club are back again to welcome you to New Delhi, to participate in a forum organised within a broad spectrum of opinions and purposeful context.
A forum that intends to concretize our commitments of attaining SIDDHI through SANKALP; a platform that calls for giving fresh, creative insights and acceleration to the Swacchata movement; a convention where our thoughts matters and drives us to action.
So, if you are an enthused “Swacchagrahi” and ready to bring a positive impact in your schools and communities, your search for a platform ends here! We would love to see your presence and active participation in the World Toilet Day celebrations this year.
We sincerely hope that we receive an encouraging response from your side, wherein, prior to attending the event, you share with us your own ideas, feedbacks and personal success stories for us to get aware of your capacities and achievements. Following the same, we are providing you a list of recommended activities that are needed to be sent to us by 31 October’17. The participating teams are requested to submit any 3 of the 5 activities as mentioned below, which shall act as the eligibility criteria for participation in the forum.
- Submission of a detailed action plan to curb any one problem related to sanitation and hygiene in schools.
Explanation: Supposing that you are a school student who observes that promoting handwashing practice in your school is a big problem. Under this, we expect from you a detailed report of a plan or an idea that you have in mind to overcome the same problem. The plan should be a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 pages in MS Word file (Font- Arial and Size-16) that should include all possible aspects of the problem ranging from the sources of the issue to the availability of funds, management challenges to behavioral issues, the plan submitted should talk about solving every dimension of the issue.
- Short film/ video highlighting the activities conducted by your school’s eco/ sanitation clubs.
Explanation: A 4 minute video that gives us a glimpse of some of the meaningful activities undertaken by your school’s sanitation cabinets/ health clubs/ eco clubs. The video must comprise of toilet cleaning activities conducted by the students & teachers, composting, waste management and water conservation approaches.
- Report of a baseline study/survey conducted by your school in a nearby community/ slum, regarding sanitation and hygiene.
Explanation: Under this, we expect you to conduct a survey/ baseline study in your neighborhood community/ slum, in order to realize their existing habits and practices pertaining to sanitation and hygiene. After this, you are expected to send us a written report of a maximum of 2 pages highlighting the findings of the survey. The report should also comprise of video bytes and photographs as virtual evidences.
- Interviews on the topic ‘Future of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’
Two categories of people are to be considered as interviewees in the above activity.
- It could be social groups being ignored under the Swacchata Campaign (like the elderly, slum women, differently able or the handicapped, transgenders etc) OR
- People working for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan at the lowest level of hierarchy (like the rag pickers, MCD workers, sweepers in schools etc)
The above activity can be compiled in a form of a 3 minute video and to be submitted to us in a written form. More than 3-4 persons are to be interviewed in this for ensuring diversity in opinions.
- Sharing a Field- Visit Experience to an ODF village
Explanation: You are expected to share the experience of a field- visit to any village which has been declared Open- Defecation Free (ODF) , in which you try to understand the reasons that led to an end in the open defecation process in that village. This can be done through conversations with the villagers, panchayat or through personal observations and can be sent to us in the form of a written report that also comprises of pictures as virtual evidences.
Please note that not adhering to the deadline and submitting less than 3 out of the above 5 activities can lead to a disqualification of the team. Also, all the above activities are to be shared with us through our official email address firstname.lastname@example.org only.
So, we are super excited to hear from you again!! We hope that our earnest intentions shall lead us to the path of realizing our common goals, and this World Toilet Day Celebrations is a way forward in the same pursuit.
Together We Can !!
Deadline: 31 October 2017 is the last date to send your Idea to us.
Your projects and research will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Innovative value
- Regional relevance and reproducibility
- Overall quality of the application
- Children involvement
- Environmental, social and economic impact
- Networking: Sponsored registration at International and National events that would be held in India and outside.
- Trophy & Certificates: to be awarded to the best idea or presentation
- Visibility: Showcasing of your work at several events and forums.
- Video: Featuring your work in our club website
- West Bengal
- Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
How to Apply?
Applications will be submitted through online application form page English or Arabic. Only completed applications will be taken into consideration.
For any question or inquiry, email@example.com